How Many Grafts Are Needed For A Good Hair Transplant?
"How many grafts do I need?" is just one of the many questions we get asked in hair restoration consultations. Most people do their research before they come into clinic and already have an idea about how many grafts they “need” to achieve a good hair transplant, with a “good” hair transplant meaning a dense and natural looking result.
We’ll explain why trying to calculate the number of grafts you will need from information you find online can be deceiving and the science behind calculating the number of grafts that you actually need.
First Step: Hair Loss Assessment
The first step to finding out the correct number of grafts that you, as an individual, will need for a hair transplant with the correct density and 100% natural results, is to have a diagnosis appointment with a hair loss expert. During your diagnosis appointment, your scalp and hair will be assessed. Those with thicker hair may require fewer grafts to achieve the desired result. The extent of your hair loss will be measured, your medical history will be considered and a proper diagnosis for your hair loss will be made. To classify the extent of hair loss, the Norwood Scale (image below) is used.
With all of this information, a correct calculation for the number of grafts needed to achieve your desired result will be done. BUT, this number will be different for every clinic you visit. WHY? Because survival rates vary greatly between clinics and those with poor survival rates will increase the number of grafts needed to make up for it. Would you want to pay for 5000+ grafts when 10-50% of them don’t survive?
The DHI Difference
The DHI Medical Group has the largest and most experienced team in hair restoration, 49 years in the industry and 75 clinics globally. The DHI expertise, processes and techniques achieve industry leading survival rates.
DHI consistently achieve over 97% survival rate vs industry rates that fluctuate between 50-90%. This high survival rate leads to fewer grafts being needed. The DHI high survival rate is achieved by:
Minimum handing of follicles
- Patented technique – the most delicate hair transplant method.
- The use of HypothermosolTM - DHI are the only hair transplant clinics in Scotland that use HypothermosolTM in our hair transplants, which sustains the survival rate of the hairs up to 100%.
- All procedures completed from start to finish by a DHI Certified Doctor who is also GMC Registered, not technicians.
- During extraction, each graft can have multiple hair follicles. The DHI technique never allows for cutting and separation of the graft as this can lead to damage to the follicles which decreases survival rate.
- Most DHI hair transplant procedures can be done in a single day, and patients can typically return to work within a few days.
Book Your FREE Diagnosis
Asking how many grafts you’ll need isn’t a simple question. The number of grafts needed for a good hair transplant will differ for everyone as there are so many variables for each individual patient. The diagnosis process is important as it allows for a proper diagnosis, evaluation, the opportunity to discuss your desired result and your suitability for a hair transplant to be assessed.
To book your diagnosis and find out the correct number of grafts that you need and the cost for your procedure, simply click on one of the buttons below. Alternatively, you can call us on 01413321745